Modern dentistry enables patients everywhere to enjoy brighter smiles by receiving teeth whitening, which is a simple and effective way to improve a smile’s appearance. If you have dark teeth, we can help you identify the reason and help you select a teeth whitening treatment that meets your needs.
Some of the agents of tooth darkening are:
– Age: Tooth enamel wears down over time, and the dentin, a darker underlayer, begins to show through. This can occur more quickly if you tend to brush your teeth harshly. To preserve your white smile longer, we encourage you to brush gently with a toothbrush that has soft bristles.
– Tobacco: If you chew tobacco, or smoke cigarettes, cigars, or a pipe, you are exposing your smile to tar and nicotine that can turn tooth enamel from white to a yellowish brown.
– Medications: If you take blood pressure treatments, antipsychotics, or antihistamines, some of these can darken teeth. Children exposed to tetracycline or doxycycline as babies or in the womb may have dark teeth.
– Tooth trauma: Tooth injuries caused by sports or an accident can signal the tooth to create more dentin, darkening the teeth.
– Drinks: Wine, tea, and coffee all contain chromogens, pigments that darken the teeth when they attach to the tooth enamel.
If you struggle with a darkening smile and would like to speak with Dr. A. Alessio Conte, our dentist, about receiving tooth whitening in Brandon, Florida, call Dental Excellence of Brandon at 813-681-5515 today. We would love to help you achieve your dream smile!